Monday 1 June 2009

My Daddy

Today, I thought I'd write just a few random bits about my dad. About how special he was, and caring, and loving. And overall - a great daddy.


He was so funny, and he told the best stories of anyone I know. He had such enthusiasm, and charisma that showed so much when he was telling them, and just being him, really. And he had such a hard childhood, yet spoke of his stories in such an...indescribable way, really. Not as if he was in pain about telling them, or sad. But as if he was just enjoying telling me and Summer so much. And I think he did. He literally told the same stories over and over, and we never got tired of them. It was like I was hearing them for the first time, every time he told them. I loved to hear his silly laughter when he'd tell of something funny - it just made everyone so happy. He definitely knew how to lighten up a room.

He loved to watch horror films. Some of my favourite memories of being with Daddy, are the times we watched horror films together - particularly the Halloween films. He loved those. We would watch two or three in a row, and crack up laughing when Micheal Myers would chop a head off - or we'd start yelling at the television when the characters were being dumbarses. And he'd always say things like: "Now look at that white chick runnin', if that was a black girl you'd only be seein' dust right now! She'd be going so fast...But that girl is falling, and acting all stupid!". And then he'd pretend to be the stupid girl: "Oh! Micheal Myers is coming to chop off my head! Save me, save me! Ohhhh!". He always knew how to make anything funny. A moment so dark and gruesome, he could turn it into the funniest thing alive.

He genuinely cared for everyone. He'd do things like, stop at the entrance of our neighbourhood, just to help some random person fix their flat tire or something. He was always helping anyone in need of help, and he truly loved to do it. He wasn't forced, he didn't think it was something he HAD to do, he just did it. He did it because he cared, and because he loved to help others. I think he was a pretty selfless person though.

When me and Summer were really little, he used to play Barbie dolls with us. We'd sit upstairs in the hallway, and just play dolls with him for an hour or so, whenever he was home. And the funny thing is, is that although he preferred being the man doll, he would occasionally be the girl. And again, make us crack up laughing doing it. He'd use a high pitched voice, and say lots of silly things. And also the times when he wanted to watch television, but also wanted to make me and Summer happy, and play with us, he would do both. We would all sit in front of the TV, and he would literally just be holding the doll up, while engaged in a show, and I thought it was the best thing in the world, still. He wouldn't even have to say anything, it was just the fact he was still playing with us. Even if it was just holding a doll sometimes, it meant something.

He loved Country music. Of all the music out there, Country was his favourite. All though Jazz came close. That was just one of the many wonderful and original things about my dad though. I mean, come on, how many Black men do you know, that love Country music? None - unless you knew my dad. He was always talking about how he loved that every song told a story. And he would call my mum almost everyday just wanting her to hear a song with lyrics he couldn't get out of his mind. That was another thing about him though - he was so passionate. Passionate about his family, friends, music, and even life itself.

He had the biggest heart of anyone I know. And I think it will be like that always. Then, now, and forever. Daddy was truly one of a kind. He was so incredibly special, that no one on this earth could ever take his place, or even compare. He was a great dad, and over all, a great person in general. And I miss him so much.

Today is June the first. My daddy's birthday. And I feel like I am letting him down. This post has not at all been what I wanted it to be. I wanted it to be perfect - to tell you all everything about him. Everything I saw in him, and everything I know he was. I wanted to share things that even the people that knew him, never got to see. I wanted him to come alive through my words.

But then I have to realise...I can't describe my father in just one post. Or a few paragraphs, and certainly not with one word. He was so many things. Wonderful and sometimes, not so wonderful. But I can simply not do him justice with one post.

So I will take my time, describing and telling stories of my father. I will share every fantastic moment of my life spent with him, and through my words, he will be so alive, it will be as if he never really left. A part of him will always be with me, and I am going to do my best to share that part with everyone I shall meet.

I guess all I have to say now is...Daddy, I love you. More than you ever knew, probably. And I miss you every single day. I miss your laugh, your hugs, your Country singing, but most of all I just miss your presence. And wherever you are now, I hope you are happy. Just always know that I will miss you forever, and love you always. Happy birthday Daddy.

1 comments:

Caroline D. said...

You did a beautiful job describing him. He would be proud as a father that you feel this way about him.

Everything you say about him came through to me. He was a big, huge-hearted man who loved his family very much.

Hugs to you, Jamie, I love you!!!